Hurricane Mitigation Grants
Was your humanities-based organization impacted by Hurricane Laura, Delta, or Zeta? Is it at risk of being impacted by future natural disasters?
The Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities (LEH), with the support of the National Endowment for the Humanities, is offering grant opportunities for disaster mitigation in areas affected by Hurricanes Laura, Delta, and/or Zeta in 2020. The regrant process will be competitive and open to cultural institutions and libraries in all 64 parishes.
Applications for this grant are now closed.
Grant amounts range from $1,000–$7,000.
Cost share is not required for this grant.
Hurricane Mitigation Grants
Mitigation grants provide funds for facility repairs to reduce vulnerability, facility risk assessment, continuity of operation plans, staff training on planning/mitigation strategies, preservation and digitization of materials, purchase of basic hazard mitigation resources, or other actions that can mitigate the effects of past or future natural disaster damage.
Specific examples include but are not limited to:
- Purchase of disaster response kits;
- Repair or cleanup of storm damage not covered by insurance;
- Coverage or partial coverage of insurance storm deductible;
- IT support to underwrite moving servers and other local systems vulnerable to onsite flooding to the cloud;
- Physical repairs that reduce vulnerability;
- Conservation and digitization projects;
- IT support for the creation of a password-protected website for all employees of a cultural institution for post-disaster communication;
- Training in how to prepare for and navigate the aftermath of a disaster (such as programs by the American Library Association, Smithsonian Institution’s HEART program, Society of American Archivists, Northeast Document Conservation Center, National Center for Preservation Technology and Training);
- Training in how to document a disaster, including how to collect oral histories (Louisiana Folklife Program, Louisiana Voices);
If your organization is interested in applying for or if you have questions about Hurricane Mitigation Grants, we encourage you to contact Grants Manager Chris Robert at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your project.
Want to talk through an application before submitting? The LEH will hold an online information session for prospective Hurricane Mitigation Grant applicants on Thursday, January 28, from 10 a.m.–11 a.m. To register, click here.
image: Satellite image of Hurricane Laura approaching the Gulf Coast on August 26, 2020. Photo by NASA
Join Louisiana Poet Laureate John Warner Smith for a conversation with Baton Rouge-based spoken-word poet Chancelier “xero” Skidmore on poetry and the pandemic.Read More